Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Chrism Mass 2010

Below you will find the text of my homily given at today's Chrism Mass at the Cathedral of Mary of the Assumption:


I want to thank all of you for joining us here at the Cathedral for this Chrism Mass. I offer a particular welcome to all the young people who have gathered here. I hope you find this ceremony informative and inspiring.


In a special way I wish to greet you, my brother priests. This Mass speaks distinctively to us who have been called by God and graced by the gift of the Priesthood. I pray it is a day of renewal and blessings for all of you.


In the Chrism Mass, the Church celebrates two important elements associated with our faith: the Blessing of Oils and the Renewal of Priestly Promises. Ordinarily, the Chrism Mass takes place on Holy Thursday, before the Mass of the Lord’s Supper. For obvious reasons, this is not always possible for dioceses like our own where distance makes it difficult for all the priests to gather on Holy Thursday. However, there is an important connection between these two liturgical celebrations, which I will explain.


Click here to view the text of the entire homily.


Also watch for photos of today's Mass to be posted on Facebook!

1 comment: